SAO Pages

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Blast to the Past

Fishing For Trophy Trout at Big Springs
October 2007

I was just flipping through some of my past pieces of video and found a short flick that I edited from a days fishing. Big Springs is a trout hatchery operation that specializes in rearing techniques that help fish to retain as much of their wild characteristics both in physical traits as well as their feeding and fighting abilities. This is where I spent the day with fellow Steelhead Alley staffer Graham Stokes.

Most of the fish you see on video have been in a man made spring creek fed by aquifers for nearly 7 years. They grow large due to the natural reproduction that takes place in the streams thus supplying smolts and other smaller fish as their main food source.

I have caught hatchery tout...plenty of hatchery trout, and I assure you that these fish appear nothing of that sort. The strikes are vicious, the fights hard, and their coloration is beautiful......I'd say personally that they are doing a fine job in their pursuit, and these guys are doing all they can for trout habitat in our great state of Ohio as well.

At any rate, I hope you enjoy the flick.....

Patrick "Flybum" Robinson

No comments: