SAO Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

Go West!

Ladies, please don't take offense to the following statement....but men are not usually labeled as "nagging". Wether its the infamous "honey-do" lists that we joke about, or the unfinished "whatever" that we can't seem to wrap up....its usually our lovely better halves that assume the label. For the past several years I have been able to frequent western states/rivers, and have since become a serious NAG! It has been a progression of logistical reasoning, and I have bludgeoned the beast to death.

Me: Honey, what do you think about spending a few months out west this summer?
Wife: For what?
Me: Well, some sight seeing....ya know...i think the kids are at a great age to really appreciate it.
Wife: You mean so you can fish your brains out and I can sit with the kids by a hotel pool...
Me: We'll talk about it later.

2 months later...


Me: Honey, what do you think about spending a few months out west over our horrible winter months?
Wife: For what?
Me: Well, some sight seeing....ya know...i think the kids are at a great age to really appreciate it.
Wife: You mean so you can fish your brains out and I can sip tea looking out a cabin window...
Me: We'll talk about it later.

4 weeks later...


Me: Honey, have you thought any more about a trip out west?
Wife: Not really?

You get the drift.
I haven't quite worked out all the details, but maybe someday I'll make the 3 month thing work.
Fortunately for now, I am still able to make trips out to Idaho to see friends often, or take a trip to Montana for a long weekend...so I can't complain. Here are a few shots from a recent trip:

This Bighorn Brown came to hand on the 2nd cast

Never a dull fish....

Not a rattler, but surprised me for a split second 

These were stout fish as can be seen across its back

Look closely....this is for all the cast & blasters out there

Can I put up a cabin out there somewhere...?

This soon became my desktop background....its a good daily reminder

I am so blessed by the experiences I have had. Some of the Idaho rivers, that certain Oregon unmentionable river that is on my brain daily, the Teton.....my favorite places on the planet. 

5 min ago...

Me: So......honey....., have you thought about a trip out west now that the kids are done with school:)

Cheers to bent rods (and the distant west),

Ben Barger
Fly Fishing Guide
Steelhead Alley Outfitters
www.steelheadalleyoutfitters.com


No comments: