SAO Pages

Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Perks...

Each year there are those days that hold special memories for each guide.  On Saturday, Ben Barger and myself had the opportunity to take a family out for a shot at some early season steelhead.  It's not typical that we would call this early season, but this year is anything but typical.

At any rate, we had tried unsuccessfully last fall to get the Melaragno clan out on the water and so we were dealt a cold March day where one had to hunt for every fish this time around.  Nothing was going to come easy, that was for sure.

With all of them being newcomers to the fly rod, we chose a choice location for casting instruction that could potentially hold a fish or two...but the odds were stacked against us...or so we thought.

Max is the young man in the right of photo.  He is a very energetic 8 year old who is all boy...just the way they ought to be.  We hadn't been on the stream for five seconds before rocks and sticks were being flung all over the place.  That being the case, the first rod that was ready for use was given to Max.  I can still hear Ben saying, Max, you have a lot of energy to burn, so how about we get you started first.   Mom and Dad chuckled at hearing that.

With that, Ben and Max stepped up stream and the instruction on swinging flies began.  When I say it wasn't 10 minutes later, I am not kidding.  Just 10 minutes into the day and I hear, "I have one!"  Surprised by the proclamation, I look up thinking that perhaps the lad was snagged, when all at once I saw the roll of the fish at the end of his line.  "Amazing," I thought to myself.  Ben scrambled to get by his side to coach him and I scrambled for the camera to capture every stage of the action.  Moments later, we had a nice buck in the net and a family full of smiles....here is one of the best shots from the day.

THE MELARAGNO FAMILY ENJOYS A MOMENT THEY WILL REMEMBER FOR YEARS!
For us as guides, these are the true perks of the job!  There is nothing quite like introducing the next generation to the sport that we love and then getting to celebrate moments like these.

Great job Max on landing that first and memorable fish and way to help the young man get it done Ben!  We look forward to seeing the whole family back again in the future!

Tight Lines,

Patrick "Flybum" Robinson
Director of Operations
Steelhead Alley Outfitters

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Mr. Patrick & Mr. Ben for a great day. I will remember you & my fish Neechehe ('my friend' in native American). I can't wait to fish with you again. From, Max